Metallic Twin Needle
130 MET ZWI
Top-stitch your items with decorative metallic threads thanks to the extremely long needle eye of the Metallic Twin Needle.
Available needle sizes
- 2.5 / NM 80
- 3.0 / NM 90
Slightly rounded point
With the Metallic Twin Needle, you can create a double glitter effect on clothing and accessories. The two eyes are extra-long (2 mm) and thus enable metallic sewing and embroidery threads to glide effortlessly through the eye. This means that they can be handled carefully without any tearing. Foil-like decorative threads benefit particularly from this. Using your normal household sewing machine, you can sew two parallel seams at the same time using two top threads on top of the seam.
Thanks to the slightly rounded points, the Metallic Twin Needle can easily be used with a wide range of fabrics.
The Metallic Twin Needle is suitable for decorative seams and stitches with metallic threads.
The Metallic Twin Needle can be used on conventional household sewing machines that have a zigzag function. Like other household needles, it is also inserted into the needle bar: From your perspective, the flat side of the shank points away from you.
The needle plate and sewing foot must have a recess large enough for the selected needle distance.
Tip: Switch on twin mode or use a similar button on your sewing machine (if available) to limit the stitch width. This prevents the needle from accidentally hitting the needle plate and breaking.
Threading the needle
- A separate reel of thread is required for each of the two needles. If you do not have a second thread holder, use a bobbin for the second thread and place it onto the reel holder under the reel of thread containing the first thread.
- In the case of flat foil threads, the thread should not be pulled out at the top but always from the side of the reel (see figure) to prevent the thread from twisting and breaking.
- You can use the same color thread for both needles or different colors for decorative effects.
- Guide the two threads through your machine's guide elements together as if they were one thread. Then separate the threads and guide one thread through each eye. Some machines have special thread separating tools. In this case, please follow your machine’s special threading instructions.
The automatic needle threader does not work with twin needles!
- To prevent metallic threads from tearing, reduce the thread tension and sew more slowly than you would with normal threads.
- A longer stitch length increases the sparkly effect of metallic threads.
- Do not push or pull the fabric when sewing. This can lead to an uneven stitch length and, in the worst case, to needle breakage.
- To achieve a nice, smooth seam, you can use spray starch before sewing or use a water-soluble stabilizer while sewing.