Logo
History

1851

The history of the manufacturer’s family “SCHMETZ” in the Aachen region can be traced back to the 18th century. Franz Caspar Melchior Balthasar Schmetz (1772 - 1855) and Friedrich Rudolf Schmetz (1837 - 1917) are mentioned as factory owners and citizens of Aachen.

In the second half of the 18th century, Aachen, Iserlohn and Schwabach develop into centers of the German needle industry. In the early 1900s the Aachen region takes over the leading role in regional comparison due to new production and sales methods. In 1851 the Schmetz family founds the needle factory in Herzogenrath near Aachen.

This is also the era of the first attempts to develop a functioning sewing machine.

In 1790 the Englishman Thomas Saint patents his design for a sewing machine for shoemakers. In Germany, around 1800, Balthasar Krems develops a chain stitch machine. As the first sewing machine manufacturer, the Frenchman Barthélemy Thimmonier develops the basic sewing machine model Couseuse, patented in 1830. In 1846, the American Elias Howe builds a sewing machine with a performance equal to four to six seamstresses. Based on Howe’s ideas, Isaac Merritt Singer in 1851 begins to factory produce and market sewing machines through the company I.M. Singer & Co. Around the 1850s the first American sewing machines arrive in Europe.

 

1900

In the first half of the 20th century, the production of sewing machines is booming. Europe has developed into an important manufacturing base for textile and clothing products. More than 200 companies in Germany build sewing machines.

This system and manufacturer diversity causes an explosion of needle systems SCHMETZ is the first manufacturer to introduce a standardization of needle systems, setting a trend for the industry.



1951

The company celebrates its 100th anniversary.



1960 2000

A decline in the European textile and clothing industry due to increasing competition from the Far East begins in the 1960s. Asia increasingly develops into an important manufacturing base for textile and clothing products.

Between 1965 and 1971 the SCHMETZ company counters this trend by founding the first foreign subsidiaries for the manufacture and sale of sewing machine needles. In the course of this internationalization, the SCHMETZ brand is registered and established worldwide.



Starting in 1997

The establishment and development of additional production and distribution companies follow to further expand the global presence. A relaunch of the SCHMETZ brand associated with the slogan “The world of sewing – the needle by SCHMETZ” conveys the high quality standard and the global availability of the products as integral components of the corporate philosophy.



2001

The SCHMETZ Group celebrates its 150th anniversary.

Today

Today, with more than 160 years of experience, the SCHMETZ Group has developed into a leading global provider of needle systems for the processing of textile products.

Its comprehensive worldwide presence is ensured through its own distribution companies and a dense network of distributors on all continents. The SCHMETZ trademark is protected worldwide and enjoys a high degree of trust and popularity among consumers.